When my mind is overloaded with a million thoughts about a bunch of things, and it’s totally taking over my ability to concentrate (or sleep), I use this simple approach to get grounded.
- Grab a piece of paper. Bigger is better.
- Grab a pen. Any size will do 😉
- Do a mind map. Call the centre ‘Outta Head’.
- Just dump down your thoughts. The quicker the better. Don’t analyse, just write headlines. If you’ve trying to work something out, write down the question. If you’re worried about something, write the something.
- You’ll end up with something like the picture below
- Put down the pen and walk away.
- Go do something you want to do now.
I never said it would be rocket science, right?
I’ve got into the habit of doing this every night before I go to bed. I’m sleeping much better. And, yes, I wake up with answers to problems and worries that have faded.
Try it out.